Monday, December 30, 2013

Ready for a new year

To anyone who has attempted to post on my blog and has had difficulty..., I apologize. 
 I have  fixed this setting so there should no longer be an issue.
Only took me 7 months!


I also want to thank everyone who has read my blog and been so supportive of me! 


When I decided to start a blog, I was unsure of what to expect.  My goal was to reach out to others who deal with visual impairments, share my experiences and offer support to others.  Before I had started the blog, I remember reading someone else's article and relating to several things he wrote about (e.g. how he crossed the street in the city by waiting for others to approach the crosswalk and walking when they did) and I remember finding comfort in reading this because it was the same thing I would do. 


So I started writing and within a week or so I heard from a woman who had recently been diagnosed with Stargardts and felt alone and scared.  W e quickly became friends and I consider her a very special person in my life. She recently sent me a beautiful bracelet accompanied by an incredibly thoughtful note...Both of which I will cherish always.
Being able to help her in her time of need was such a wonderful feeling.  Of course I wish she didn't have to go through it,  but I am so glad that I was there to help her.


I have heard from others who have been diagnosed or who have loved ones dealing with visual impairment.  Friends and family members have also told me that they have learned from reading my blog. 


Writing about my life has been helpful to me as well.  I do not talk a whole lot about some of the things I have written, so in a way it has been therapeutic.    And I am sure it will continue to be!


Thus, I consider the blog an accomplishment of mine in 2013Q 

That and keeping my children safe and happy!


However...
I don't know about you but I am happy to see 2013 come to an end!
It has been a roller coaster ride with seemingly more lows than highs for many people I know.  Death, illness, financial struggles and much more.  I know its all part of life but that fact doesn't make it easier when you are in the midst of it.


I sincerely hope that 2014 brings joy and happiness to all of us.


Just came across this quote I  thought I would share:
"Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are wiling to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy."
Sarah Ban Breathnach



Happy New Year everyone!


And Happy 5th Birthday o my sweet precious daughter Alexis!  You mean the world to me!
(Or as she says:  "I love you more than as far as  the last star in outer space!"













2 comments:

Mary Jane's Playcare said...

Happy New Year, My Heather! and a Happy 5th Birthday to our precious Angel.
Well, you did it again. What a poignant blog.
You have helped some very special people this year, Heather. And have added new friends to your life. 2014 is going to bring more friends. And you are going to help many more people. You are even venturing out to help those who are visually impaired navigate the iPad and make their lives better. I am so very proud of you.
You have also helped your family understand the struggles you go through day to day. This can grow into an understanding for many others. Thank you, Heather.
You are also correct about 2013! What a disaster of a year. The bombings hurt so many both physically and psychologically.
Outside of the bombings, we have lost some very precious people.
You and the rest of this amazing family have been a great support to me with the loss of my Irish Twin, Nancy. I will try to follow Sarah Ben Breathnach's advice. It is great advice! Of course, you know, what helps my sadness is my awesome grandchildren.
Thank you, Sweetheart. As, Alexis says, I love you more than as far as the last star in outer space!
Happy New Year to all! Love ya mints.
MA

ME said...

And much love to all of you.